Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Road Trip Across the Pond

Mel is going to be surprised that I hacked her blog... :)

On Saturday, work is paying for me to ride the 747 across the Atlantic to visit Thermon European Headquarters in Pijnacker, Netherlands. I have been over there twice already and have seen and done quite a bit on my trips over there. Partying for the queen's birthday in Den Haag and wearing a lot of Tennessee orange was a riot. We went and ate in the Eurotower in Rotterdam which is a city with a lot of new buildings when compared to other larger Dutch cities because the Germans leveled it in WWII. And, last time, I got pretty drunk in Amsterdam and asked a Red Light District Service Provider how much for some entertainment. Apparently 50 euros will do it. (about 75 bucks) I can afford that but I couldn't afford the doctor bills to pay for the treatments of the things you could catch.

This time, we're going to have some time to spend in Den Haag (The Hague) this coming Sunday and then there are 3 days of meetings. We then get to hop over the North Sea and go to New Castle England for a couple of days. I am looking forward to going to England and drinking some fresh New Castle Ale. If it is the same as drinking Heineken over there, it tastes totally different and is actually not so skunky.

I really enjoy these trips because I get to see the world. I am actually curious to see what the opinion is over there on American Politics. (They all think W is not too good.) It is nice to get out of the surroundings of what one is used to and to experience other cultures and ideals. It enables a person to think outside of the box and to take into account more positions in a particular argument than most individuals would because of environmental/ cultural limitations.

If you ever get the chance to travel, do it. There is an enormity to see and do out there and honestly; you'll have a better view of the world if you do.

Bobby

No comments: