Friday, March 26, 2010

Welcome Camille Rose Cowan

I can't believe that Camille is 6 weeks old already..almost 7 weeks.  These last 7 weeks have been the most wonderful and exhausting weeks of our whole lives.  We are so very blessed to have Camille and I could not imagine life without her in it. Cami keeps me so busy, and I never want to put her down, so finding time to blog has been impossible for me. I want to take the time to catch up now before I get too far behind.  I am going to post the birth story first so I have it down for me to remember. Then I will follow with updates and milestones from the last few weeks. 

Birth Stats:
Camille Rose was born on February 9th, 2010 at 5:50 p.m. by cesearean section at Gonzales Memorial Hospital.  She weighed 8 lbs 3.8 oz and was 21 inches long.  She had a 13 inch chest and a 13 inch head with a head full of hair.

Birth Story:
February 8th, 2010 around 5:00 pm we checked into the hospital to get started with our induction. Luckily we had stopped to get some food (Chicken nuggets from Micky D’s…I’m not kidding) on our way to the hospital, because once I got settled, I was informed I was not allowed anything but ice chips from here on out. I got dressed (or really undressed) and hooked up to all the machines. I was already having some contractions on my own (yay), was not really dilated and not really effaced (boo).

(This is us before we left to the hospital)

The nurse placed Cytotec in my cervix…it is this pill like thing they put in to get things started (similar to cervadil that some people get). With some people this stuff can cause the uterus to hypercontract and can be pretty painful. It really got the contractions going like crazy…and it was somewhat painful. Nothing that I couldn’t stand at this point. This stuff lasts for about 4 hours and even with all the contractions it didn’t cause enough effacement/dilation. They let me have a little break and then placed another pill of Cytotec sometime early morning of February 9th around 2:00 a.m. There was already indication that miss Camille was not going to like labor at all because her heart rate started dropping some with my contractions. All night long they were moving me from side to side to try to make Cami happy, so I didn’t get any sleep. Luckily, I sent Bobby home to get a little rest, he left about midnight and came back at 5:00 am, because we are about to be in for the long haul. There was NO where for Bobby to get any rest in our room at the hospital or else he would have stayed. The good news is that they are redoing the OB rooms and they should be done in a few months, so next time the accommodations should be better! My mom and sister, as well as Bobby's mom, sat with us most of the evening as well as all day Tuesday.

Early morning on February 9th, Dr. Walker came to check me and I was finally starting to dilate (1-2) cm and about 50% effaced. It is about 5:30 am now and the pitocin was started. Dr. Walker checked me again around 7:00 am and said I could have the epidural now. At this point the contractions are starting to become pretty uncomfortable. Now....I am trying not to complain because I have no idea how bad this is going to get and I didn’t want to be a weenie…so I wasn’t about to ask for the epidural yet. However, thankfully my awesome nurse could sense this about me and called the anesthesiologist anyway. I got the epidural about 7:30 am and things were pretty painless after that.

As the morning went on the contractions were getting stronger and with every contraction the baby’s heartbeat would drop. They turned off the Pitocin after lunchtime to give Camille a break. I continued to have good contractions on my own. Around 2:00, Dr. Walker broke my water and had the nurse turn back on the Pitocin. I was dilated to about a 3-4 at this point. My nurse voiced concerns about starting the Pitocin again because she knew the baby was not tolerating it well. Dr. Walker said that we had to know whether or not she would be able to tolerate the labor as it got more intense. The contractions increased again and Cami’s heartrate kept dropping some. After a couple of hours the baby’s heartrate was not coming back up as fast as it should be after my contractions so Dr. Walker decided to go ahead with the C-section. It is now about 4:00 p.m. and it was obvious she was not going to tolerate labor any further. He also voiced concerns that there might have been a problem with the cord. Having a C-section was fine with Bobby and I at this point, because we were so worried about the baby. I ended up dilated to 6cm so we still had a little ways to go. Things moved pretty quickly at this point to get me ready for surgery.

Having a C-section was a weird experience because you can feel them tugging but it doesn’t hurt. I remember thinking that it seemed like it took forever to get her out once they had me opened up. At my one week checkup, Dr. Walker mentioned that she was just as hard to deliver by C-section as vaginally. She had made it pretty far down during labor and she was sunny side up (face up), which makes it harder to deliver apparently. He also said after he delivered her that there was not a problem with the cord, which was a relief.

Dr. Meredith assisted Dr. Walker with the surgery and Dr. Rivas (the pediatrician) was also there to “catch” the baby. Camille was finally born at 5:50 pm on February 9th, 2010. She weighed 8 pounds 3.8 ounces and was 21 inches long and had a head full of hair. She came out screaming which was music to my ears! Dr. Rivas checked her out and cleaned her up and they let me hold her before taking her out. I had to wait an hour in Post-op before they would take me back to the room. While I was in Post-op they took all her measurements and all of our visitors got to see her and some held her. They waited to give her the first bath until I came back to the room…. I was glad about that.
                                                            First family portrait

Camille's first bath
While we were waiting to go back for the surgery, one of the nurses commented that we must be really loved because we had a waiting room full of people waiting on this baby! I think they were shocked at how many! We are very blessed with loving family and friends! Some of the people there included: my mom, April, Linda (Bobby's Mom) and Mark, Robert (Bobby's Dad) and Mildred, Jason and Teresa and Kaitlynn and Garrett, Grandma Chumchal, Grandma and Grandpa Schumacher, Tiffany, Becky and Sammy and Alex and Samantha, Diane and Shae from my office, Robin, and Lana and Cirilo and Ethan. They were overflowing out of the waiting room.

No comments: